Published on Friday, 19 April 2013 00:00
There’s a new robot in town and he goes by the name of Romo. He makes Furby, Poo-chi and other interactive pets look like scrap metal he just pooped out if he could actually poop... which he can’t... but you get my drift.
Romo, the smartphone robot, was brought to life by a team of tech geeks obsessed with building robots so intelligent that will someday supersede mankind and take over the world. Mark my words, it’s only a matter of time... but until then why not make them our slaves and objects of amusement before we become theirs?
“Our first product, Romo, is an iDevice-powered robot that lets you video chat with anyone, anywhere in the world. You can customize Romo’s behavior through a graphical programming interface that’s n00b-friendly. Teaching our bot new behaviors is easy - just update the app.” – Romotive
This little robot was designed in a way that its mind (which is the app downloaded on your smartphone) is packed with some basic artificial intelligence, which allows it to learn and modify its behaviour and personality based on its user’s commands.
The Idiot’s Guide For Romo:
1. The first thing you got to do is get yourself an iPhone 4, iPhone4S, or the 4th Generation iPod Touch.
2. Next, proceed to buy Romo here
at only US$149 (note: iPhone not included, it is just the robotic base).
3. Wait impatiently and anxiously for your Romo to arrive in hopes that it did not get mixed up in transit and accidentally shipped to Africa.
4. Open your package upon Romo’s arrival.
5. Download Romo’s app on your smartphone.
6. Plug your smartphone into the robotic base.
7. Tadah! Now you have your very own portable robot slave!
Romo is able to express certain emotions and move around by himself on his cute, little tank-like tracks. Now you don’t even have to waste precious energy by stretching your arm towards your coffee mug, just get Romo to bring it to you!
What’s not to like about this little bugger? We can’t get enough of it! In fact, we are contemplating on buying an army of Romos for the office. But then again, there will be hell to pay when they decide to stage a Robot Revolution and eliminate the entire human race... it's still adorable though!
Check out the details below for more information about Romo.