Category: Weird Articles
Published on Monday, 11 November 2013 00:00
Do you remember studying your ass off in primary and secondary school, learning names and memorizing dates pertaining to WWII, then taking a History exam where everything you so desperately try to remember flies out of your head, and you end up crying uncontrollably? Yup, we have all been there. If only they taught us the more interesting aspects of WWII, you know, the least important but incredibly fascinating facts, we would have all been a little more eager to pour through our history textbooks and in turn, ace our history exams.
But all of that is too late now. Oh well, easy come easy go. At least you can entertain yourself and maybe impress your friends by rattling off these 10 little known WWII facts:
- During WWII, Japan bombed China with fleas infected with bubonic plague.
- Japan and Russia still haven't signed a peace treaty to end WWII due to the Kuril Islands dispute.
- 2 million German women aged 13 – 70 were allegedly raped by the Red Army during WWII.
- One particular Japanese soldier remained in hiding and did not surrender until 29 years after WWII was over, in 1974.
- Queen Elizabeth II served as a mechanic and driver in WWII.
- U.S. Soldier, John R. Mckinney, single handedly held off over 100 Japanese soldiers in WWII.
- The number of Chinese killed by the Japanese during WWII is greater than the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust.
- The mosque of Paris helped Jews escape the Nazis by giving them Muslim Ids during WWII.
- Winston Churchill lost the 1945 election right after winning WWII.
- Hitler bombed his nephew's house in Liverpool, so he joined the U.S. Navy to fight him.